Office of the Registrar

Veterans Educational Benefits

The Veteran Services office is located within the Registrar’s Office. The Veteran Services office assists veterans, their eligible spouses and children to process their Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits.  The office is staffed by veterans who are currently enrolled as students and the Registrar’s serves as the Certifying Official at Western New Mexico University.

Here you can get help with:

Forms necessary to claim benefits
VA rules and regulations regarding educational benefits

In-State Tuition waivers for those eligible veterans




For more information, please contact us:


Western New Mexico University

Registrar’s Office/Veteran Affairs
P.O. Box 680

Silver City, NM 88062

If you need to speak to a regional VA representative, please call (800) 827-1000 or (888) 442-4551 for questions about VA educational benefits.


Picking The Right Educational Benefit:

Need help picking out the right Educational Benefits. This website will help you understand which Chapter best fits you. Best Educational Benefits For You.

 Post 9/11 GI Bill – Chapter 33

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is a benefit for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty - Chapter 30

The Montgomery GI Bill is a benefit for individuals who contributed $1200 to the basic program while on Active Duty. All individuals who were separated or retired with an honorable discharge or were separated under the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) are eligible.

  • Pays a monthly stipend based on enrollment status.
  • If you paid into the Army College Fund or $600 kicker, you will receive additional money.
  • Benefits available for up to 10 years after separation from active duty.
  • US Department of Veteran's Affairs -- GI Bill Info.

Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve - Chapter 1606

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve and have completed your Initial Active Duty Training (tech school). The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

  • Eligibility is determined by your Reserve or National Guard component.
  • To expedite processing, please obtain a copy of your DD 2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility "NOBE” from your unit.
  • If you enlisted on or after October 1, 1992, your period of eligibility ends 14 years from your beginning date of eligibility, or on the day you leave the selected reserve.
  • If you are mobilized or called to active duty your eligibility may be extended.
  • US Department of Veteran's Affairs -- GI Bill Info.

Montgomery GI Bill - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) - Chapter 1607

The Secretaries of each military service, Department of Defense, and Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) will determine eligibility and establish the program to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserves of the armed forces who are called to duty for 90 days or more. Members may be eligible after serving 90 consecutive days on active duty after September 11, 2001.

  • Please provide a copy of any notice of eligibility for this program you have received from your Military Service Department.
  • Provide copies of your DD-214, orders to active duty, release from active duty and NOBE if you have never applied for 1606 or 1607 benefits.
  • US Department of Veteran's Affairs -- GI Bill Info.

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR&E) - Chapter 31

VR&E's primary benefit program is vocational rehabilitation services for veterans who have a service-connected disability of 10% and higher determined by handicap. To receive services a veteran must be found both eligible and entitled. The outcome of these services lead to suitable employment that is consistent with their aptitudes and interests, or achieving independence in their daily living.

·                     Contact the Veterans Affairs Office at 505-346-4856 or 1-800-827-1000

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) - Chapter 35

DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, who are anticipated to be released from a military hospital with 100% disability or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.

  • Spouse or dependent child of a veteran who:
  • Is 100% disabled due to a service-connected disability?
  • Is on active duty and missing for more than 90 days.
  • Is missing in action or was captured in the line of duty.
  • Has died due to a service-connected disability or incident.
  • US Department of Veteran's Affairs -- GI Bill Info.


Transferring Post 9/11 Chapter 33 Benefits to your dependents

There is a provision under Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill that enables eligible service members to transfer their eligibility to their dependents. There is a very stringent established criteria the service member must meet to be eligible for the Process to Transfer Their Benefits.   Eligible dependents include:

  • For more information about the Policy on Transfer of Benefits.
  • Spouse: Not eligible for BAH or Books while member is on Active Duty.
  • Child: Eligible only after member has served at least 10 years. They will receive BAH and the Books stipend.

Apply for Benefits

What are the next steps?

·        Apply for benefits on the VA education website Veterans ON-line Application (VONAPP)

·         Bring in a copy of the application or your Certificate of Eligibility

·         Notify the Veteran Services office of you intended major, and promptly upon changes to your major

·         Register for classes

·         Notify the Veteran Services Office when you are registered and changes to your enrollment and your classes.


WNMU Office of the Registrar
PO Box 680  Silver City, NM 88062
Phone: 575-538-6118    Fax: 575-538-6093