Silver City, NM – The Extended University has announced the summer classes offered through the Kids Kollege summer enrichment program.
Seven classes for area youth aged 7 through 18 will be offered in two to three hour sessions throughout June and July.
Registration for all classes is available by contacting Rebecca Estrada at 575.538.6149 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funk Music (Ages 12 – 16)
– Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., from June 3 through July 3. Cost is $25 per student. Take a journey exploring the roots of this quintessential American music style. The course will include Funk music listening sessions and an opportunity for students to bring instruments to class.
Outdoor “Plein Air” Painting (Ages 9-14)
– Thursdays and Fridays, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., June 5, 6, 12 and 13. Cost is $39 per student. Students will be doing “in the open air” painting. The focus will be on trees, plants, landscape drawing and painting. The first day of class will begin with a demonstration. Pencils, pastels and watercolors will be used. Students will need to bring a hat, folding chair and water to drink.
Improve in Action (Ages 7-14)
– Monday through Friday, 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., from June 9 through June 20. Cost is $20 per student. Dive into the wonderful world of improvisational acting. Students are invited to play interactive games that harness acting abilities.
Creative Writing: It’s not just stories anymore! (Ages 10-14)
– Mondays and Fridays, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., from July 14 through July 25. Cost is $20 per student. Students will learn what it is to write a fun piece both as individuals and as groups. Focus will include modern media such as eBook, comic book and short film.
Drawing for Teenagers (Ages 13-18)
– Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., from June 9 through June 25. Cost is $50 per student. Students will learn to draw in perspective. Types of shading, contour and gesture drawing will be covered.
Watercolor for Teenagers (Ages 13-18)
– Mondays and Wednesdays, 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., from June 9 through June 25. Cost is $65 per student. Learn the basic techniques of watercolor. Basic applications include painting wet into wet, how to make area washes and drawing with a brush.
Yarn Art (Ages 10-16)
– Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., from July 1 through July 31. Cost is $25 per student. Learn to knit your own pillow/cushion covers, scarf, handbag, or vest for yourself or a gift. Students need to bring their favorite color of yarns and knitting needles.
Please contact Rebecca Estrada for more information on supplies and room locations.