TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The term “Resident” or “Student” in this Agreement refers to the individual named above. The term “University” refers to Western New Mexico University. The Student shall not be released from this Agreement due to lack of financial resources, dietary, or medical needs. Students are urged to carefully consider their circumstances prior to entering into this Housing Agreement.
1. ELIGIBILITY: A person must be enrolled for at least one credit hour each semester as a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student
to be eligible for on-campus housing. The Director of the Office of Housing and Residence Life or his/her designee may deem other students eligible for on-campus housing.
Applications for on-campus housing are subject to review by the Director of the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Pursuant to such a review, on-campus housing
may be denied for cause and any rental fees paid returned prior to occupancy.
2. TERM: Subject to earlier termination as provided in Paragraph 6 below, THIS AGREEMENT IS FOR BOTH THE FALL AND SPRING SEMESTERS OF THE INDICATED ACADEMIC YEAR,
or any for any portion of the fall and/or spring semester remaining at the time the Agreement is signed. The Student will be assessed all fees for the entire term if the Student
enrolls but does not occupy the assigned unit and has not cancelled this agreement pursuant to Paragraph 4 below. The Student shall not be released from this Agreement due to
lack of financial resources, dietary, or medical needs. Students are urged to carefully consider their circumstances prior to entering into this Housing Agreement.
3. BREACH OF AGREEMENT: Violation of any term, covenant, or condition of this Agreement shall be considered a breach of this Agreement. In the event of such a breach,
the Student shall be notified in writing by the Director of the Office of Housing and Residence Life or designee. Remedies for breach of this Agreement include, but are not limited to,
denial of housing, permanent exclusion from on-campus housing, University disciplinary action, reassignment to another unit, or termination of this Agreement. The determination by the
Director of the Office of Housing and Residence Life will be final with regard to all such matters.
4. CANCELLATION OF AGREEMENT: In order to initiate a cancellation of this Agreement, the Student must request
a cancellation in writing with the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
All students whose cancellation requests are not approved remain bound to the Terms and Conditions of this Housing Agreement and are financially obligated for the full amount of the
rental fees for the entire duration of the Housing Agreement.
On or before June 30th
July 1st through July 31st
August 1st through day prior to 1st day of fall
On or after 1st day of fall semester classes
On or before October 31st
November 1st through November 30th
December 1st ? day prior to 1st day of spring
On or after 1st day of spring semester classes
*If not approved by the Housing Director or designee, then the student will be held liable for the entire semesters rent.
6. NON-ENROLLMENT: A Student who withdraws from, or fails to enroll in, classes
during any semester must notify the Office of Housing and Residence Life in writing and must vacate the assigned
housing unit within 24 hours following his or her withdrawal from or non-enrollment in the University. The
Student must follow all check-out procedures prescribed by the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
7. TERMINATION OF THE AGREEMENT: This Agreement may be terminated by the University. In the event of such termination, the Student shall check out of the housing unit
within the time provided in the notice of termination and shall follow all check-out procedures prescribed by the Office of Housing and Residence Life. The University shall also
have the right to cancel this Agreement for any cause it deems reasonable including, but not limited to, violations of any provision of this Agreement or of the University’s policies or
regulations. The same standards for pro-ration of rental fees and cancellation fees explained in these Terms and Conditions will apply.
8. APPLICATION FEE AND REFUNDS: The $75.00 application fee submitted with the Student’s Housing Agreement and Application is non-refundable. The application fee
is also non-transferable to another time period outside the time specified in these Terms and Conditions. The application fee is a processing fee and is not applied towards
rental fees or any other fees.
9. CHECK-IN/CHECK-OUT: Students may check into their assigned housing unit on the published check-in day and are entitled to remain there until 24 hours after their last day of examinations for the spring semester or by the published check-out date and time, whichever is sooner, unless the Agreement is terminated earlier.
10. ASSIGNMENTS: Assignments are made by the Office of Housing and Residence Life without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation,
age, or disability, except as needed to accommodate a disabled student. Assignment notifications include room type, building,
room, and roommate information. Housing assignment notifications may be made in the form of e-mail communication or written communication. The
Student is responsible for providing current mailing address and e-mail address information to the University for correspondence.
11. CHANGES IN ASSIGNMENTS: Students may not change housing assignments (bedroom, apartment, or
suite) without following established procedures and obtaining approval from the Office of Housing and Residence
12. FEES: Rental fees are published on the Office of Housing and Residence Life web site. The Student shall promptly pay all
fees based on the due date in the University system (Student’s Mustang account). In the event of unforeseen
occurrences, fees in additional to rental fees may be assessed. The Office of Housing and Residence Life accepts checks, money orders,
and traveler’s checks drawn on a United States bank.
13. USE OF THE ASSIGNED UNIT: The Student will not assign, sublease, or allow the use of the assigned space to another person or guest.
17. REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE:
Students are expected to report damages and necessary repairs to the
Office of Housing and Residence Life in accordance with established procedures. The Office of Housing and
Residence Life does not guarantee the availability of parts and services.
18. ACCESS TO UNITS: Employees and agents of the University shall have the right to enter the Student’s
unit at any time a) when an emergency exists, b) when Student or residential staff have requested service for the unit c) when a University staff member
suspects a policy violation as outlined in the Housing Community Guide, or d) with 24 hours’ notice provided to the Student via telephone,
campus mail, e-mail, or posting. Authorized Housing and Residence Life personnel may also enter student rooms without the residents’
permission for maintenance and housekeeping purposes and for fire, health, or safety inspections.
19. SECURITY AND KEYS: The Student agrees not to duplicate any keys assigned or to transfer their use to
another person. If keys are not returned at check-out, the Student agrees to pay for all lock changes and key replacements. The
Student is responsible for securing the assigned unit at all times and taking such precautions as are necessary to guard his or her safety and property.
22. LIABILITY: The University is not liable for damage to or loss of personal property as a result of fire, theft,
or any other cause whatsoever, or for failure or interruption of utilities. Students are encouraged to secure their own health and personal property-loss insurance.
23. EVACUATION: The University retains the right to use the residence hall facilities for emergency shelter
purposes. In the event a residence hall is evacuated because of an emergency, only those students deemed eligible by University policy will be permitted to occupy space in an on-campus shelter.
TO THE STUDENT:
IT IS YOUR REPSONSIBILITY TO REVIEW YOUR HOUSING NEEDS AND FINANCIAL RESOURCES PRIOR TO SIGNING
THIS AGREEMENT. THIS AGREEMENT OBLIGATES YOU TO PAY ALL ON-CAMPUS HOUSING FEES FOR BOTH THE FALL AND SPRING SEMESTERS.
I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS LISTED ABOVE, AND MY SIGNATURE ON THE APPLICATION FORMS INDICATES THAT I AGREE TO ABIDE BY AND TO BE LEGALLY BOUND THEM.
· The sections listed above encompass the entire agreement between the student and Western New Mexico University. Any alteration, amendment or
addition must be agreed to in writing.