The History of WNMU

A lot has happened since 1893.

2010 - Today

Transforming the Future Together

1893 - 1900

“Although the frontier mining town of Silver City laid strong claims to the School of Mines, she was rewarded with a School of Minds.” – Silver City Enterprise, 1899

The community of Silver City realized a longtime dream on February 11, 1893, when the Thirtieth Session of the Territorial Legislature of New Mexico passed “An Act to Establish and Provide for the Maintenance and Government of the Normal Schools of New Mexico.” Silver City and Las Vegas were chosen to be the locations of these teacher-training institutions. This successfully culminated the efforts of many in Silver City, who had attempted for years to convince the Territorial Legislature to approve an institution of higher learning in Silver City.

The Board of Regents, appointed by Governor L. Bradford Prince, was given the task of selecting a site for the school. Per newspaper articles at the time, 20 acres were donated by townspeople to the Town of Silver City and then given by the Town Council to the New Mexico Normal School at Silver City. Col. John W. Fleming was Mayor of Silver City and a member of the Board of Regents at that time, while Town Finance Director J.P. Carr was the secretary of the Board of Regents at the time. The Board accepted the donation from the Town at their meeting, which was a few days before the Town Council took official action to donate the land. This site, situated on a hill west of the community, allowed the institution to be visible to all who came into town.

On September 7, 1894, an impressive dedication ceremony was held. Within the cornerstone laid by the officials and townspeople, a copper box containing coins, magazines, and other items of the period was placed. The military band of Fort Bayard provided appropriate music.

1900-1920

The Normal School of New Mexico

The first director was George Selby, an educator from Deming, who was given the title of principal. He is remembered as the man who was given the difficult task of developing curricula and providing instruction for the first forty students.

The first Normal Catalog, prepared under the direction of Principal Selby for the 1895-1896 term, presented the mission statement of the school: The mission of the Normal School is to supply the grammar schools of the territory with competent and carefully trained teachers, devoted to their chosen profession and conscious of its splendid possibilities.

With the departure of Selby, Charles M. Light became the principal. He later became the first to be given the title of President. Professor Light, a Doctor of Pedagogy, provided a needed air of stability for the young institution and presided over substantial growth of the physical plant, faculty and student body. His tenure lasted until 1914.

It was during 1917 that Fleming Hall was completed to house a gymnasium and Science Department. Today this building is the home of the WNMU Museum which was established in 1974.

}
Images from Presidents Office & Campus Collection

1920-1950

New Mexico State Teachers’ College

In the early 1920s the New Mexico Normal School became New Mexico State Teachers’ College. Following World War I, Dotson Field was constructed and named after an alumnus who died in the war.

Near the end of the 1920s, Light Hall was completed to serve as an auditorium, library and classroom facility. Although Graham Gymnasium was started years earlier, it was not completed until 1936. During the Depression of the 1930s there were numerous W.P.A. Projects which brought improvements to the campus.

At the end of the 1930s, a secondary school associated with the college began operations in a new building on the east side of the campus. Western High School was turned over to the Silver Consolidated School District on July 1, 1960.

Although there was a delay in campus expansion during World War II, the influx of many veterans following the war made it necessary to bring temporary housing to the campus. The new housing was immediately dubbed Veterans’ Dormitory. In 1948 a College Cafeteria replaced the cafeteria located in the basement of Ritch Hall. In 1949 the Mustang Field House and swimming pool were completed.

1950-2000

Constructing a Rich Culture

 

In 1979, the wish for an enclosed pool was fulfilled. In 1954, the President’s home was completed. Miller Library, following the razing of “Old Main,” was built in 1957 then was completely remodeled in 1997, doubling its size. In 1966, the Fine Arts Center Theater, the McCray Art Building and the Parotti Music building were finished. These buildings have added cultural opportunities for the University and local community. Western New Mexico University received its current name in 1963. The Phelps Dodge-Felix Martinez Buildings (1970), Glaser Hall (1981) and the Juan Chacon Building (1983) reflect the fulfillment of more recent needs of the University. WNMU celebrated its 100th Anniversary in 1993.

2000 - 2010

Growing To Meet Diverse Community's Needs

 

WNMU continues to transform itself into an institution that serves a global audience in the 21st century. More and more programs are available fully online and partnerships with international universities is on the rise.

The campus that was first opened in 1893 continues to honor its historical past while experiencing constant changes to new classes of Mustangs each year. Go Mustangs!